Beyond monetary gain, the purpose of a ransomware assault is to “land and grow.” What’s more difficult is that the way inside frequently looks to be harmless.
One of the most popular routes of infection is through remote desktop ports (RDP). However, an email phishing attempt or the employment of a trojan is another systematic way. Due to COVID, many organizations were obliged to adopt a virtually remote worker strategy, making them an easy target. Unwitting recipients are persuaded to open or download a file attached to the email. Once activated, the ransomware might seize control of the victim’s computer or propagate throughout the network. Thus, CMMC solution has become a necessity for DOD contractors.
Worse, standard security measures don’t operate effectively, if at all, in cloud instances, another popular way for remote employees to get work done. Another kind leverages security flaws to infect systems without tricking users, such as the SolarWinds assault, which could infect a supposedly secure vendor-provided software installation.
Why is it that we can’t get rid of ransomware?
What you can’t see can’t be stopped. Once on the system, the virus moves freely and unnoticed, looking for and exfiltrating data before eventually shutting businesses out of their infrastructure.
This is because most cybersecurity techniques, such as network perimeter monitoring only safeguard about 20% of overall traffic. Most businesses lack real-time insight into east-west internet traffic (the other 80%), making them ill-equipped to identify spyware, ransomware, and other breaches before doing severe harm.
Traditional IT security technologies, for example, are often categorized, with no easy method to aggregate or prioritize the data, resulting in a slew of false alarms. According to research, many businesses receive over 5,000 notifications every day. This is the responsibility of highly skilled and expensive SOC analysts, who must be accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to review results and seek to mitigate possible cyber risks. It’s evident that even the most well-staffed SOC teams can’t successfully analyze all of these signals.
The five pillars of comprehensive cybersecurity defense
Organizations should grade CMMC compliance requirements and cybersecurity solutions against five critical criteria when evaluating them. These actions will offer them an advantage not only against extortion, including against all other types of cyberattacks.
Network transparency in its entirety: Insight into every region of your network, notably east-west flow, where land and expand strategies are most commonly used when other options are limited or entirely blind.
Analytics throughout the organization: Utilize untapped insights derived by alarms, logs, and threat information to rapidly and correctly discover cyber dangers.
Intelligent threat modeling: Reduce analyst workload by using artificial intelligence (AI) to feed established threat models based on machine learning (ML) that comprehend how each threat acts.
Threat containment that is systematic and surgical: AI skills should not only be highly accurate, but they should also allow for the automatic isolation of security risks before they propagate to other equipment. Another crucial point to keep in mind is that production connectivity should not be disrupted; only the impacted devices should be turned off.
Last but not least, fulfilling industry compliance is no laughing issue for some businesses. Solutions should be able to generate the reports necessary for ensuring regulatory adherence and enforcing connection standards, and avoiding future infractions.…